Wednesday 7 December 2016

Ćevapi. A story about nostalgia.

According to some studies, currently there are more Croats living abroad than in Croatia. I'm not an expert, but I'd say, this also applies to other countries in the region... People are moving to more economically developed countries, and it has its benefits... But. There is always nostalgia. They are homesick. They miss their loved ones, the language, traditions and customs, and of course, the most they lack, is their favorite food - traditional specialties and, of course, sweet treats.
Chevapi is one of them 😃


The best known and the most delicious meat treat from the Balkans - Ćevapčiće (chevaps). It is a dish of obelisk-shaped minced meat that is traditionally prepared on a wooden charcoal grill. They come in various forms and flavors depending on their country of origin. I made mine in a "somun" (some kind of flat bread) with purple onions, "kajmak" (a creamy dairy product similar to clotted cream) and "ajvar" (a type of relish, made principally from red bell peppers) - just the way I like it best!





My main intention was to give people, who are far from the warmth of their home, what they miss the most. It is comforting food that they love so much - in a very unusual, witty shape, in the form of novelty jewelry. First I made earrings , and after that a pendant necklace.
And should I mention, you will not get an ounce of these cheavapi, because they feed on the emotional emptiness when you feel homesick. Or just because you love them 😄


If you are one of those homesick people (or you know one) who's far away from home on holidays this year, maybe you should get these to comfort yourself! 😃
You can look them up in my Etsy shop.

Also, I have another nostalgia related items, and I'll wright about them soon!

XO Milushka 

No comments:

Post a Comment